4 Audiences Retail Brands Can Easily Reach with Mobile Ads
Fueling your mobile campaigns with location data allows you to access unique audience-building tools. Aside from targeting campaigns based on age, gender, race, and income, you can reach people based on where they are and where they have been. A person’s day-to-day activities tell us a lot about the products they love, their interests, and the places they shop regularly. On top of all this, you can also layer contextual data, such as weather, time-of-day, or day of the week to personalize the user’s in-ad experience.
As you can imagine, location data allows you to create thousands of unique personas. As a retail brand, your goals are to drive in-store visits, increase sales, and nurture loyalty. With location data, we have found four audience profiles that can easily be applied across various retail brands to drive success.
“The Trendsetter” is always one-step ahead when it comes to fashion and new products. They have strong opinions on what’s “cool” and what’s not, which means friends and family look to them for new products and styles.
Here are four tips to reach Trendsetters using location data:
- Target urban areas that over-index for 18-34-year-olds to hone in on the fashion-forward audience
- Leverage real world activities of trendsetting mobile users to speak the language of people entrenched in popular culture (e.g. target Beyonce concertgoers by geofencing a certain venue)
- Find style-conscious mobile users who shop at fashion-forward stores
People who are loyal to a retail brand are a marketer’s golden unicorn. “The Loyalist” shops at the same stores, even if that means paying a premium price. Building loyalty with 5% more customers would lead to an increased average profit per customer of between 25% and 100%, according to The Loyalty Effect.
Here’s how to reach Loyalists using location data:
- Use GeoBehavioral data to re-engage mobile users who previously visited your retail locations
- Use contextual data to personalize messaging based on season and available products (e.g. show off your summer styles when it’s warm outside or focus on products perfect for gifts during holidays)
- Reach people who are at your retail location to reinforce their product and retail choices
Not surprisingly, “brand switchers” are largely driven by price when it comes to retail purchasing behavior. A study from Nielsen found that 61% of consumers would switch based on price while 20% would switch based on product quality. Knowing this, we can use location data to speak to “The Switcher.”
- Use location data to geofence and conquest your competitors’ locations; then, serve the best-suited competitive messaging based on where your audience shops
- Re-engage mobile users who have previously interacted with your advertising or recently visited your stores
- Connect CRM data and mobile user data to reinforce your retail value among previous shoppers
Gift-giving isn’t just for December. Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and Easter are all great times to engage “The Gifter.” In fact, gift giving doesn’t have to involve holidays at all. In a study from Loop Commerce, 56% of people give gifts “just because.” So, how can you engage these generous shoppers? Here are four tips on how location data can help you reach “The Gifter”:
- Showcase giftable products using an in-ad product slider while targeting users who are within close proximity to your retail location.
- GeoFence retailers during the holiday season and remind mobile users to pick up their last minute gifts.
- Provide in-ad store locators and utilize drive-to functionally, making it easier for buyers to get to your stores
These four audience profiles are just the beginning. With over 125 million unique mobile users available on the Thinknear platform, location data allows you to reach countless numbers of different consumers.
Ready to learn more? Download the Mobile Marketer’s Quick Guide to Audience Engagement for a list of available tools, creative strategies, and an example of how to reach those tough audiences at the right time.